This week has been a tough week. I had to say goodbye to one of my most dearest friends. Heather was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) in 2006. Heather has now lost full movement in most of her body. She still has some movement in her neck and arms. About a year ago they put her on a ventilator and that machine now breaths for her. Heather has the most amazing husband and he has been taking care of her. They are so sweet and cute with each other. After much pray and through Jeff and Heather's faith she has decided that her time here on earth is over and it's time for her to return to live with her Heavenly Father. This decision has brought complete peace to Heather's life.
On Saturday we had a celebration for her life and she was able to say goodbye to most of her friends and family. We were able to visit with her and talk about memories and better times. I can't even tell you how many people showed up to visit with Heather and tell her how much they loved her. She had a steady line for almost 7 hours. I know the impact she has had on my life and I'm sure she's done that for every person who came to see her on Saturday.
This Friday I will have the opportunity to go and see her one last time and visit with her. I have so many things I want to tell her and let her know of the impact she had on my life. Heather and I have been friends for over 12 years. We played volleyball together and lived together for 2 years. Every memory I have from 1997 - 1999 involves Heather. She was my partner in crime and the one I always turned to in times of need. During volleyball she was my #1 fan and always supported me. She never cared about her success she always wanted everyone around her to succeed. She taught me to come out of my shell and be the person I am today. Her attitude and happiness was definitely contagious. Heather was a friend to everyone and she treated everyone the same. She has always been concerned about everyone around her and always willing to help in anyway. I am such a better person for knowing Heather and I pray that I can be that type of friend to everyone I know. If Heather has taught me anything in the last couple of years is that your family & friends should be the most important thing in your life. The relationships we make are what we can take with us . I will always love you Heather and will remember you for the rest of my life. What a joyous reunion you will have with family members in the next couple of days.
I wanted to post some memories I have of Heather and please be aware this may come as a shock to some of you, but I was a little bit of a dork in high school and college.
Club 1997
Emily popped a volleyball and Heather decided it would make a perfect hat for the day. She was always making us laugh!

We got this really great idea to see if Heather could walk the ledge of our hotel room. We were on the second floor, so we made a harness from straps on our volleyball bags and let her go. What were we thinking. Oh yeah we also put an ice bucket on her head for protection in case she fell.
This is us holding on while she went.

If we weren't playing volleyball we were dressing up and planning a mission. This was one of the many times we toilet papered the Richards Home.
UVSC 1997-1998
Piggy Tails at the Snow College game. We didn't care if we won, all that mattered was how good we looked.


Posing after a game
These are 4 of my dearest friends.
Amanda, Emily, Me, Melissa and Heather in front.
Thanks for all the memories Heather. You will be in my heart forever.







5 comments:
I have such great memories of Heather. I'm glad I was able to come say goodbye. It's amazing to know that she's really going home. Makes me sad and happy all at the same time.
She was always so hilarious and that's what I'll remember!!!
Thanks for the memories!
I stole a bunch of your pics. Thanks for always being such a great friend. We'll miss Heather so much:)
You made me get all teary again!! I can't believe you have proof of our great idea!!! Fun Memories!
Abbey that was so sweet to read. She was such a hilarious girl. Thanks for sharing, made me teary eyed too. Love you!
Hey Abbey was wondering if I can steal some pics from this post? Please let me know, thanks!!
Post a Comment